Friday, September 24, 2010

A change in perspective...

The beginning of this school year has been a rough one. We are adjusting to three kids in school, significantly more homework than last year, and a rougher schedule for me. It has taken a good four weeks for us to make the transition and a definite adjustment in perspective for me. It has been a process involving anger, depression, self-pity, and a bit of sadness at the loss of "the way it used to be." I recently heard a quote by Nelson Mandela and I have to say that it has become a bit of a personal challenge to me:

"If I cannot change when circumstances demand it, how can I expect others too?"

I have reminded myself of this often during my process. I have also come to the conclusion that no matter how much I am doing, I have to have joy while I'm doing it. Joy allows me to deal with my circumstances in a manner that allows me to be effective and to not let my bad attitudes carry over into every aspect of my life.

"Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything." James 1:2-4

I am proud to say that I have gotten myself back together, and with that, am enjoying my crazy family again.
We were enjoying a family meal at Steak and Shake. They have these fantastic hats! Who can resist?!
Grace and Landry were showing off their matching pony tails. Landry was mad at Dad and was refusing to look at the camera. Surprise...surprise...
Of course, the boys couldn't let the girls get a picture and they miss out. They were looking tough...

"Above all else, guard your heart, for it is the wellspring of life." Proverbs 4:23

No comments: