Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Goodbye geckos...

Gibson has decided that when he grows up, he is going to be a wild animal something. In order to foster his love of anything outdoors, we (I mean Shane, and then he has to talk me into it) have decided to supply him with outdoor pets to encourage him. We have two turtles, two dogs and over Christmas we got two geckos. (I guess the magic number is two.) The geckos were kind of cute, in a slithery kind of way, but they have to eat crickets. I was not really excited about that, since the crickets look very much like little cockroaches — gross! I made Gibson touch the crickets. Anyway, we kicked off the beginning of this last week, by finding one of the geckos no longer with us. Gibson was crushed. It was the first pet that he had ever lost and we have had numerous talks and discussions about how the gecko is now with God in heaven and climbing trees, etc. I had to pull out my trusty garden trowel and dug him a grave in the backyard. We had a funeral, complete with prayers and special words spoken. The night before last, I told Shane that I thought the other gecko was looking a little peaked, for lack of a better word. Sure enough, before the evening was over, another one bites the dust... The tears. They just about broke my heart. Gibson was truly upset. We assured him that we could try again with another gecko. He immediately answered back with, "How about 10?" I think not. Our house is currently under pet suspension. We are going to wait a little bit before we add anything else.

No comments: