Monday, August 5, 2013

Summer Canning

This summer I decided to tackle canning. When I was a kid, we canned and preserved all kinds of produce all summer, but since I've grown up, I just haven't. I don't really even have a reason...

Anyway, this summer I decided that it was beyond high time...

I met up with a friend of mine and we canned her batch of cucumbers and turned them into pickles. I also took advantage of some great sales on strawberries and made a bunch of strawberry preserves. (Hayden is a HUGE fan. Strawberry anything is his favorite.)

Then I moved on to peach preserves. These just happen to be Shane's favorite. I have made several batches and would say that we have plenty to keep us for a while. Gibson has proven to be a great help in the kitchen when it's time to can peaches. He can peel and slice with the best of them.


Of course I had to make cobbler. That many peaches around just screams flaky crust and vanilla ice cream! Yum!

It's extremely satisfying to have little jars that I made myself!

No comments: