Saturday, April 21, 2012

Bluebonnets

Having grown up in Texas, bluebonnets and pictures in the bluebonnets are just part of the deal. Pictures like the one above are plentiful, and in my mind, are just part of Texas. There have always been bluebonnets wherever we have lived, but most of them are on the side of the road and in the medians. I've seen other families stopped by the side of the road with their kids getting cute pictures and carting around little chairs and wagons. The thought of dodging cars, worrying if my kids were going to run in the road and get flattened and battling bugs in the middle of the flowers has always been enough to keep me from getting any pictures of my own dear, sweet children in the bluebonnets.
Until a few weekends ago... On our way to Cisco to meet up with my folks we went through the Hempstead area and drove by a couple of fields that were so full of bluebonnets that at first we thought that it was a lake! I have never seen so MANY bluebonnets in my life! They were truly breathtaking and I felt as though I had fallen into a Texas Highways magazine (Does that magazine still get published? I haven't seen one in a while...)
These pictures don't even start to do these fields justice. I drove past a couple of them, then took the first exit off the freeway and we committed a cardinal sin. We lifted up someone else's barbed wire fence and just let ourselves in. Growing up in the country on a farm, this truly was the biggest no-no around our place. Other people were not allowed on our place and we didn't go on other's places without permission. Well, we did anyway. From the worn path through the flowers, I don't think that we were the first.
These pictures don't begin to do these fields justice. I was completely in awe and loving every minute. Then reality hit me again. Landry had to pee-pee. Do you see a bathroom anywhere?

We took a few minutes to soak in the beauty. I snapped a couple of pictures of the kids and then it was back to being mom and saving the day. Just kidding...

Hayden was so excited to see the bluebonnets that he has talked about so much at school. I now have pictures of my kiddos in the bluebonnets. We are real Texans... :)

No comments: