Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Love


It is an exciting thing to watch your child fall in love. Grace has become completely consumed with gymnastics. I knew that it was happening. Every piece of furniture in our house has been converted into some sort of equipment for her practice. Every moment spent on the trampoline is used to learn new and better flips and stunts. The hall and any open space in the house is for her cartwheels, round offs, back bends, head stands, hand stands,  and the list goes on. Tuesdays and Thursdays are her favorite days because she has 2 hour practices immediately after school. She is furious with me if I am late leaving the school because of choir practice or anything else having to do with the students. Even after all of that, I still didn't realize just how devoted she is to her sport. This last week, our school hosted a Trunk or Treat on a Thursday night. In the past, this has been one of her favorite events and I thought that this year would be no different. I gave her the choice to skip gymnastics for Trunk or Treat, thinking that she would. She immediately informed me that she had to go to the gym and that she wouldn't be skipping. After my surprise, I said, "no problem!" She later told her coach, "I had to be here! Don't we have a meet in a couple of weeks?!" It's exciting to see her make mature decisions with thoughts to the future and not just what is exciting and fun for the present moment.

Grace and one of her team mates.

1 comment:

House said...

I'm sure she's really good at it. Bet it's fun to watch her!