Sunday, April 4, 2010

Only the beginning...

Last Sunday was Palm Sunday and while at church, the kids all got palm leaves and we had communion. During the service, Gibson was asking lots of questions about the palm leaves and why we were choosing this Sunday to have cool things to shake at our sister instead of listening quietly like we are supposed to do. During this whispered exchange of what the leaves were for, be quiet, leave your sister alone, etc., I had a God-inspired idea. The idea was to take the week before Easter and read through the book of Matthew before Easter Sunday, so that the kids would have the whole story before Easter morning and would be prepared to understand all of the things that were being discussed during the service and in Sunday school.

I know that there are more detailed books than Matthew, but I figured, if we are starting at the beginning, we might as well start with the first gospel. Sunday night we started with the birth of Jesus and the coming of John the Baptist. Each night after, we read about the miracles of Jesus and how much the people loved Him and how much other people hated Him.

Some nights were really difficult to fit it in. It was late and I was tired. I wanted to quit a couple of times and blow it off, but the kids' enthusiasm to listen was contagious. It was great to watch child-like innocence with stories that I have heard so many times, that I forget the awe and worshipful admiration that should accompany the recounting. Last night, we finished with the death and resurrection of Jesus. Grace and Gibson both found it hard to believe that someone who was so compassionate to others, could be killed and have others be so cruel to Him.

We finished with the verse: "Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age."
Matthew 28:19

Out of habit, I said my customary line that comes at the end of a story, "The End." The kids said thank you and good night and I tucked them in. I felt like my heart was pricked for the rest of the evening. After this fabulous story, that is not it. It is not "The End." The story that was read, is not a story at all. This is the life blood of my life. These words and this man that came to earth, died, and rose again for you and for me, are the reason that we have purpose in our existence.

It is not "the end" at all, it is only the beginning...

Happy Easter.

1 comment:

Kelli said...

what a great idea for your kids, and a great reminder for all of us of how much we truly have and how little we deserve it