Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Overflowing...

Hayden has been having a hard time with cleaning himself after he goes to the potty. Because of his many sensory issues, he doesn't like to be dirty, or touch anything that may be dirty, and here is our problem.

He has been off to preschool this year and has put not only his teacher, but several others through the ringer as he has been in the bathroom screaming at the top of his lungs, with his hiney in the air, "TEACHER!!!! TEACHER!!!!"

In an effort to stop this problem, we purchased flushable wipes and and posted them in the bathrooms. He also has his own little set to carry in his backpack in an effort to encourage independence. So far it has been working...

Last night we were home, and I was in the middle of teaching a piano student. Hayden came in from outside and headed for the bathroom. He was in there for awhile and was really quiet. I finally went to check on him. He was standing in the middle of a flood. Evidently, when you try to flush 50 flushable wipes, they don't go down. I grabbed him from the ever growing flood of water, grabbed the plunger and was able to save the day. Try cleaning that up and still look professional. I don't think that I did. I gave him a clean set of clothes, told him to wash his hands and shut the door on the mess. I know that one day I will look back on all of this and laugh and miss it terribly (well that was today, minus the missing it terribly). Just keep laughing, right?!

No comments: