Thursday, August 25, 2011

A Little Russian

I was in the middle of teaching a lesson to a bunch of 4th graders. We were talking about Italy and music related subjects. One cute little smarty pants boy had answered every question correctly and was looking very proud of himself. The kid next to him drawled with a huge Texas accent, "Well, my dad is Italian, but I can only say 'pizza'." My cutie pie re-raised his hand and said loud and proud, "Mrs. Mize, I can speak a little bit of Russian." Since he had so far answered everything else correctly, I was ready to hear anything else that he had to offer, so I said, "Alright! Let's hear it."
He puffed up, seemed to think for a minute (meanwhile I'm thinking that he is about to bust out a full Russian phrase) and then says very proudly, as he looks around the room, "Vodka! It means 'a little water.'" The other kids looked like they were ready to break into applause. The little Italian boy looked at him in admiration, "Really! I never knew that!" I had to turn around and erase the board before I busted out laughing.

No comments: