Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Mize Pet Co.

We are turning into a pet refuge! (Now, I know that technically we only have two pets, but...) Gibson and Shane would bring home every kind of animal if I would let them! I have said "no!" to mice, hamsters, a snake (are you kidding me?!), a bird (that's the last thing we need around here!), gerbils, lizards, and fish (I have killed my fair share of those!) I made the mistake of saying that I would begrudgingly share my home with a turtle, thinking that we wouldn't really get one, and lo and behold, WE HAVE ONE!!!

With his job and close affiliation with Texas Parks and Wildlife, Shane has become very conscious of maintaining natural habitats and not introducing outside predators that will disrupt the ecosystem. This can happen with people throwing fish back into a different body of water than the one that they were caught in as well as turtles and other animals being introduced into new environments. (I know that all of you are thinking, "blah, blah blah", but this is why I said yes...) While Shane was at work, he looked out to the lake and there was a lady with a box and a turtle and she was getting ready to dump the turtle in the lake. Shane hoofed it outside and rescued his lake and that's how our turtle was selected.

Anyway, Shane calls me at home to tell me that he has found the PERFECT reward for Gib bringing up his grades at school: A TURTLE!!! Yeah! Aren't I excited?! Yes, yes...I am thrilled...woo...hoo...

Well, of course Gibson really was thrilled. As all of you parents know, there is nothing better than seeing your child truly excited and happy about something like that. He named the turtle Hunter. We aren't really sure if Hunter is a boy or girl, so the name goes both ways. Every morning, Gibson turns on the basking light for Hunter and feeds him/her. Every night, he tells Hunter a bed time story and then turns off the light. (The story is really cute.)


Hunter joins our other pet, Jones or Jonesy as he's called most of the time. Jones would really like to get a hold of Hunter... But for now, he's content to keep up with his rough life around here...

No comments: