Monday, July 12, 2010

Hayden's Chinese Meltdown

Hayden has multiple 4 year old meltdowns every day. They are usually over simple things like his pants falling down, food dropping on his clothes, not being able to find his shoes, you probably get the idea. Today we were driving in the car and he started asking me where America was and wasn't it on the other side of the world? I saw it as a great opportunity to throw in a quick social studies lesson about where we live (Fort Worth, Texas, America). Since he was asking what was on the other side of the world, I saw that as a great opportunity to point out that China is on the other side of the world, and that is from where Mike and Ashley have just brought back our new friend, Kate. (They have just returned from adopting their daughter in China and we are excited to meet her!) He was fine, then he got to thinking, and then he was very upset and wouldn't talk to me. I finally drug out of him that he was upset that he wasn't from China. We got to Dad's center (that's where we were driving), he went inside and actually started crying in Dad's office because he wasn't Chinese. I finally told him that if he was Chinese, I had to call him by a Chinese name. So I dubbed him "Ping" for awhile this afternoon. "Ping" finally decided that he really liked to be called "Hayden" and he guessed that he might could be from the good ole USA. Who knew?

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

Oh, my soul! That is too funny. Thanks for the laugh this morning.

Bron said...

Hilarious Hannah! I love reading about your kiddos!

The McGrew Crew said...

LOL! That's hilarious!!