Legendary...
That is what my son is at school. I don't know why it has taken me so long to blog about this. Possibly, my embarrassment over my son's lack of embarrassment. Or maybe it just has to do with the content of the situation...I don't know.
Hayden has sensory issues. I've mentioned this before. He doesn't like to be dirty. He requests wipes to clean up after a snack. He likes to wash his hands (I can say after having another boy and seeing LOTS of boys at school, that this is an unusual quality.) He refuses to wipe his own hiney. When I say refuse, I mean REFUSE. He will go to the bathroom (He manages to go often. His appetite offers many opportunities.), and rather than wipe himself, he will scream, "Mom" "Teacher" or even "Help me!" at the top of his lungs until someone shows up. It is quite embarrassing how many teachers have wiped his hiney at school and then come to tell about it at the end of the day. One day, he was left in the gym bathroom after p.e. and wasn't found for a few minutes, by that time he was in complete hysterics and had to be calmed down by multiple people. (He wasn't one bit upset about being left, he was upset because no one heard him yelling.) He now has to go to the nurse's office bathroom during computer class, (he is very regular) because he bear-walked back to the classroom with his pants down around his ankles, in front of the whole third and fourth grades, looking for someone to wipe his rear. (Grace was mortified.) The other day he showed up in front of my whole class of kids with his pants around his ankles, bearing all to the world, looking for help. Before you think that I am babying this boy, we have tried. We have outfitted his backpack and bathrooms with wipes. We have had hiney-wiping classes and tutoring sessions. Bottom line: He doesn't like to be dirty. That is dirty. He is not touching it. He also has absolutely no shame for exposing himself in front of anyone. One of these days, it is going to click. He can't go to college with this problem, right?!
For the moment, I am the laughing stock of everyone else. What we do and endure for our kids...
No comments:
Post a Comment