Friday, June 1, 2012

The Strawberry Farm


I have been on a quest to find or grow as many fruits and veggies as possible and can or freeze them this year. Our family is growing and eating lots and it gets expensive! (I'm sure that is not news to you.) We go through tons of frozen berries in smoothies, cereal and just eating them by themselves. So, this spring, I spent one of the most wonderful afternoons by myself and went to a strawberry farm.
For two glorious hours, I was hunched over rows and rows of berries and picked four buckets worth of berries.
Landry was REALLY excited about all of the strawberries. They are her favorite! After I brought them all home, I hulled them, set them out in a single layer on cookie sheets, and froze them for about 30 minutes. Then, I took the berries and sealed them in gallon baggies in the freezer where they are ready when we are.
I do have to say, I really did enjoy myself. Eating warm berries straight from the plants was a wonderful experience and being ALONE was even better! I may have to go back. ;)

No comments: