Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Summer of Adventure: Day 2

I am definitely not posting our adventures every single day, but when we go out and about, I am recording and sharing. (You might see some at home adventures too, but I don't think that you really care about the days that we don't get out of our p.j.s until after lunch or (gasp) never get out of them at all.)

During my research of fun things to do in Houston, I found a blog that is completely wonderful. For my friends in the Houston area, you definitely need to check out Houston On the Cheap. This blog lists TONS of free and very cheap family activities. I am now checking her blog daily. I found it, initially, because I was looking for movie theaters with free and cheap summer movie series (which there are lots of), but she also had listed a free day at the Houston Zoo. The first Tuesday of every month, the zoo has a completely free day from 2 p.m. until closing. Because I hadn't heard anything about this particular promotion, I naively hoped that maybe others hadn't as well...I was wrong! It was very crowded and warm, but the kids had a good time and we got to see lots of the animals.
After all the heat and crowds, we hit up our favorite ice cream place, Hank's Ice Cream. This place is a Houston institution and is a favorite of many celebrities, including Beyonce. The little store is very unassuming and they only have 10 or 11 flavors at any one time, but this is the best ice cream that I have ever had. They have a banana pudding ice cream that is just heaven! Since it was so late, I decided that we were having ice cream for dinner. Of course the kids didn't mind.
Grace and Gib are both huge fans of the cookies and cream.
Landry got her customary chocolate. She ends up wearing just as much as she eats. :)
Hayden had his ice cream in a cone for the first time. Normally, he gets his in a cup. Not being in complete control of his situation can be very stressful for him and ice cream dripping down the side of a cone can send him into orbit. He decided after this cone that he will never eat his ice cream in a cup again. It was a magical moment.

After ice cream, we headed back to our little oasis and jumped in the pool until after dark. My back and shoulders are sore from rowing across the pool 4500 times in an inner tube giving rides to the younger two and racing the older kids. I think that I may be too old for this.

We finished off the day with pizza that Dad brought home after he got off work. It was a late night for him, so the pizza hit the spot after a late night in the pool for us. It was the perfect end to a pretty perfect day.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing my site, Houston on the Cheap, on your blog. And for sharing your Day 2 adventures. Fun! We also tried to hit to free Zoo after 2pm, but drove around 40 minutes trying to park. Had to give up, which was frustrating. We had gotten there about 2:20, so that was the mistake, I suppose.

Vicki
Houston on the Cheap